Did you know that one of the best-loved presidents of all time, Abraham Lincoln was predominately library educated? In fact, he once walked twenty miles just to borrow a book on the United States! His best friend, Dennis Hanks, said, "I never saw Abe after he was 12, that he didn't have a book in his hand or in his pocket." Growing up on the frontier, Lincoln rarely enjoyed the privilege of full-time schooling. His formal education, in his own words, “did not amount to one year,” and was thoroughly “defective.” Lincoln’s childhood fascination with the library created a character that would go on to be regarded as one of the greatest public speakers and effective leaders in world history.
In what ways has your library helped you find what you love? Every month, more than 160,000 people visit the 15 branches of the Anne Arundel County Public Library (AACPL) and check out more than 320,000 items. From finding your favorite book and discovering “your passion” to embracing your community, an endless amount of stories are created in and outside your library’s walls.
5 Ways You Can Show Your #LibraryLove
- Whole Foods 5% Community Giving Day: Anne Arundel County Public Library has been selected as the beneficiary the Community Giving Day at Whole Foods Market! On Wednesday, February 15, the Annapolis Whole Foods store will donate 5 percent of their net sales to the library. To celebrate, AACPL will be offering fun STEM activities throughout the day and hosting special Storytime in the Annapolis Whole Foods Market Community Room at 10:30 a.m.
- Shop At AmazonSmile: Amazon will donate 0.5 percent of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to Anne Arundel County Public Library Foundation, whenever you shop on AmazonSmile.
- Attend Our Valentine’s Day Events: Come to one of the Show Your Library Love Events!
- Get A Library Card: Did you know that it’s easy to sign up online for a library card, and that it gives you immediate access to digital content like eBooks and online classes?
- Show Your Heart: Stop into any branch to share your library story and get creative! We will display the ways you love your library on special hearts across all 15 libraries and also be sharing your responses with the community and our elected officials.